Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sal the Sports King and ESPN 840

ESPN TV has been running commercials lately that show radio listeners riding in cars with their local sports radio meatballs in the passenger seat. My favorite has a guy driving and "Sal the Sports King" riding next to him saying "C'Mon!" over and over again. The guys asks why Sal keeps saying that and Sal replies, "'Cause I'm Sal the Sports King and that's what I say."

That's how I feel when I listen to afternoons on ESPN 840 in Charlottesville. They broadcast Mike and Mike and The Herd, but their afternoons and evenings feature local "flavor."

I was listening earlier to their show "Open Mic" show earlier this week. The show is hosted by Mike Tingle, who is also the station's General Manager. The hosts were complaining that ESPN was not covering the College World Series enough. The hosts said "They must only care about money." and "They would rather cover off field NFL and NBA stories."

Now, I have a few problems with these statements. First, ESPN airs the CWS games on their TV stations and cover the games during Sportscenter. They also have plenty of coverage on ESPNU. What more would you like them to do?

Second, of course ESPN cares about making money. They are not a charity. ESPN is a business. They cover stories that have a national interest, and sorry C'Ville, but off season NFL stories move the meter more than college baseball. During the Arkansas/UVA game few pepole outside of Charlottesville, Arkansas, and Roseblatt stadium cared the game was occuring.

Third, why are you refering to ESPN as "they?" Your show in on an ESPN radio station. To many people who are listening, you are ESPN radio.

I know the CWS is a huge story in Charlottesville because UVA progressed further this year than they ever have. Instead of complaining about the lack of coverage, cover the game yourself, talk about it until you are sick of the sound of your own voice. Because then, guess what, in the minds of everyone listening to you, ESPN will have covered the CWS.

Dave and I could do better than these jokers. In fact, that's a great idea. We should. Someone get me some radio time and microphone. I'll bring my own headphones.

ESPN 840 your Open Mic show sucks. Boom. Roasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment