Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Curse Strikes Again




Mere hours after I predicted Blake Griffin would win this year's NBA Rookie of the Year award he suffered a stress fracture in his knee in the Clippers final pre-season game. So, as Dave said yesterday, he has given the rest of the rookie field a 6-week head start.

This is just another example in a long running, well documented, curse I hand out. Dave can verify that this year I cursed not one, but two, perfect games, in progress, in baseball. Matt Garza had one going in the beginning of the year and right as I said out loud, "Wow, that would be worth at least 200 points for my fantasy team if he pulls this off," - bloop - perfect game gone. Later in the year, Dave texts me and says Andy Pettite is getting nice against the O's. I tell him I am going to change the channel and watch and as soon as I do - bloop - Nick Markakis ends the perfect game and the no-no with one swing.

Hell, in the last two weeks I've taken Tennessee to cover at New England and Oakland to cover against the Jets. Combined score, 97-0.

Without me the Ravens don't lose to an 0-fer Dolphins team two years ago that allows Miami to avoid 0-16. ("There's no way Baltimore loses this Sunday to a team that hasn't won a game all year.)

Without me the Patriots don't win their first Super Bowl against the Rams. ("Sure, I'll take the Rams -14. Who is this Brady kid anyway?)

Without me the Mets don't win the '86 World Series. ("I don't know man, the Red Sox can mash the ball and they have great fielders, especially that first baseman. What's his name? Baker? Butler?)

Without me the Jets don't win Super Bowl III. ("Sure, I'll take the Colts -17.5. Who is this Namath kid anyway?)

Without me Cumberland doesn't lose to Georgia Tech 222-0 in 1916. ("Sure, I'll take Cumberland +77. I know they're basically sending the Kappa Sig fraternity out there, but they can keep it close. How good is Georgia Tech anyway? What's their coach's name? Heisman? Yeah, there's a name you won't be hearing in five years.)

This curse works the other way too. In September of 2002, when online gambling was in its infancy and still legal, I had the chance to lay 7-1 on the Spurs winning the '02-'03 NBA title. Didn't do it. I even had a guy at work say to me, "We should pool some money, get a few hundred bucks and make a bet, just for fun." And I stayed silent.

So, sorry Blake. It wasn't your fault at all. It was mine. It could have been Steph Curry or Johnny Flynn just as easily. I just happened to pick you.


Really though, any pre-season predictions anyone makes should all be parenthetically noted "barring injury."

No comments:

Post a Comment