Sunday, November 1, 2009

Week 8 Picks

Good week for both of us, with Gabe edging me by going 9-4 to my 8-5. I still lead the season by 2(Dave: 64-39, Gabe: 62-41).



Here's our week 8 picks, using Danny Sheridan's spreads in the USA Today



Broncos(+3) at Ravens



Dave: Broncos - I really don't understand why Vegas doesn't show more love to Broncos. I mean, they're undefeated and they have way more impressive quality wins than Minnesota and New England. I know they're on the road against a solid Ravens team, but the Ravens have lost 2 in a row and they aren't the team we thought they were earlier in the year. I'll take the Broncos for straight up W.

Gabe: Broncos - At some point you stop being lucky and are just good. I'm picking up what the Broncos are putting down. They will be tested b by the hostile environment in Baltimore, but the Ravens are getting old on defense. I'll take the Broncos for the outright win in a game that I can't believe they aren't favored to win.


Browns(+13) at Bears



Dave: Bears - Good trap game here. Browns are barely an NFL franchise and the Bears have looked horrible even in the games they win. I think Jay Cutler takes his frustration out here on a hapless team tanking for Colt McCoy. I like the Bears by 14, but I can totally see Chicago playing down to the competition and making it too close.

Gabe: Browns - The Bears are going to come out snorting and looking for a win. I think Chicago will play down to the competition, so 13 points is too many. Chicago will win, but the Browns will cover.


Texans(-3) at Bills



Dave: Texans - Swirling Buffalo winds will make this a battle of running games. Texans have a top flight run defense and, while I don't like Matt Schaub's arm throwing into the wind, I think he goes for a score or two here as a side dish to a heavy serving of Steve Slaton. Texans by 10.


Gabe: Texans - This game comes down to the running games. Slaton will earn his money today. The Texans run defense has been tremendous for the last three weeks. Houston runs all over the Bills and wins big.


Vikings(+3) at Packers

Dave: Packers - I've come full circle on this one. I liked the Packers early on, then somehow talked myself into Minnesota, and now I'm back to backing my boys. Look, the Vikings should be 4-3 right now, and I'm glad their luck ran out last week against Pittsburgh. The fans are going to charged up and I don't think the Packers let Benedict Favre come into his old stomping ground and embarrass him. Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher are supposed to be back for this one and we'll see if that leads to an improvement over the last time we saw these two collide(Vikes sacked Aaron Rodgers 8 times). Another advantage for Green Bay is Viking corner Antione Winfield will be sitting out on this one, which might be more costly if A-Rod gets time to throw. I like the Pack by 7.

Gabe: Packers - This game, to me, is not about X's and O's. This game is all about the intangibles. The crowd is going to be vicious. Green Bay is going to be more motivated that they have been in years. There is no way they are going to let Favre come in and win at Lambeau. Packers run away and win outright.


49ers(+13) at Colts



Dave: Colts - The miraculous return of Alex Smith that got everyone's heart racing last week as he nearly led a 21 point comeback against Houston ends here. The Colts are in rare form and, even without Donald Brown and possibly Reggie Wayne, I still like Peyton to light up The Gold Rush at home. Colts by 17.

Gabe: 49ers - It is going to take more than the 49er's have to beat Peyton Manning at home. That being said, without Donald Brown and with a limited Reggie Wayne, I think San Fran can keep it close. I like the Colts to win by 10.




Dolphins(+3) at Jets



Dave: Dolphins- The Jets struggled with Miami on Monday night a few weeks ago and now come into the rematch down Kris Jenkins and Leon Washington. Plus, the Karma Gods have to strike down Mark Sanchez for the overblown "Hot Dog on the Sidelines" brouhaha, right? Dolphins by 6 and the world gets acquainted with rookie wideout Brian Hartline, who will probably fill in for stone-handed Ted Ginn Jr.

Gabe: Dolphins - This game will be about adjustments. The Jets got torched by the Dolphins a few weeks ago. Like Dave said, today the Jets will be minus Jenkins and Washington. I don't think the Jets will be able to make the adjustments necessary and will lose outright.




Rams(+4) at Lions



Dave: Rams - Both of these teams suck out loud, but the Lions give up a ton of passing touchdowns and will probably be without Calvin Johnson again this week. Matt Stafford is expected to come back but it won't matter with nobody to throw to. Forced to pick someone here, so I'll take the points.

Gabe: Lions - Both teams suck. The Lions are at home and don't quit. They'll win by a touchdown.


Seahawks(+9.5) at Cowboys



Dave: Cowboys - Cowboys stuck it to a game Falcons team, much to my surprise. The Seahawks are beat up and looking to next year and not even the return of Marcus Trufant changes that. I like Tony Romo to continue his beatdown of inferior teams in low pressure situations. Cowboys by 14. (P.S. I would tell you to check my preview on sportstalkbuzz.com, but I'm already promoting one website that isn't paying me: THIS ONE.)

Gabe: Cowboys - Earlier this week the Seahawks called me and asked if I wanted to play left tackle. I declined. They called later in the week and asked if I wanted to play middle linebacker. We couldn't come to terms financially, so I passed. The Cowboys are rolling and will win big.




Raiders(+16.5) at Chargers



Dave: Raiders - Only because the Chargers can't run the ball and I think they have a little bit of trouble throwing on Nnamdi Asomugha. I still think Oakland will epically suck, but they'll only lose by 14.


Gabe: Raiders - This is just way too many points. The Chargers are not that good. Oakland puts it together every now and then. The Chargers will win by 10.


Jaguars(+3) at Titans



Dave: Jaguars - Part of me believes The Karma Gods lead Vince Young to Tennessee's first W of the season here against a terrible Jaguars team, but it's hard to have in a quarterback that begrudgingly got the starting nod because the owner put a gun to the coach's head. I'll believe VY can lead to this team to victory when it happens. 'Til then, Jags by 6.

Gabe: Jaguars - Vincent Young is starting because the owner forced Jeff Fisher into it. Young has a fragile psyche. Jags by a touchdown.


Panthers(+10) at Cardinals



Dave: Cardinals- A team that can only move the ball on the ground facing the best run D in the NFL at home? You could triple the spread and it wouldn't be big enough! Look, every game John Fox foolishly trots Jake Delhomme out as his QB is a big "Fuck You" to the fans and I don't think you can be competitive if every waking second you're on the field, you find new ways to irritate your fans. Don't worry, Panthers fans. Jake Delhomme and John Fox will be on a CBS set next year, Steve Smith will be in Miami, Julius Peppers will be in Oakland and Bill Cowher is coming to town. Cardinals by 21.

Gabe: Cardinals - The Panthers can't throw the ball. The Cardinals are good at stopping the run. That's it, that's the list. Cardinals huge.


Giants(-1) at Eagles


Dave: Giants - A battle between two bad good teams. Giants have looked pedestrian for the last eight quarters of football. Eagles struggled to put away a Redskins team that has clearly given up all hope and was giving them every chance they can to make it a 35-point drubbing. I like the Giants here because I think McNabb gets intimidated by a Giants' pass rush that brutalized him not too long ago and because their best weapon, Brian Westbrook, is a bit iffy. Giants by 3 here.

Gabe: Giants - My heart really wants the Giants to win this game, especially because it is against my least favorite team. My head says there is no way the Giants lose three games in a row. The Giants will be motivated. The Eagles offense is a one dimensional passing game. The Giants strength is stopping the pass. Giants by a touchdown.


Falcons(+11) at Saints



Dave: Saints - Bad 8 days of scheduling for the Falcons. First they get anger-banged by Dallas and then have to travel to N'Awlins to take on a Saints team that came back from down 21 at halftime to make it a laugher against Miami. I want to think Reggie Bush's "undefeated" prediction comes back to haunt him, but the Saints are just too good to not dominate here. Plus, Bush only feels the need to be a halfway competent back when it's Monday Night Football. Saints by 14.

Gabe: Saints - I am going to ride the Saints and Drew Breeeeees until they don't beat a team by 12 or more. Done and done.

Redskins (+7) at the Bye Week

Gabe: The Bye - The Redskins are really bad. I don't think the Bye will have any problem beating this number. The Bye wins by at least 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment