Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 10 Picks cont...

A decent week for both of us last week. I managed to finish at .500 after the Bills extra point mishaps drew me a tie instead of a W and Gabe edged me by one game because I inexplicably took the Cowboys in an effort to jinx them against my Packers(which worked, mind you, but I don't think they needed my help in that regard). Anyway, on to the rest of Week 10 after we both took the L after the Ravens lost to the Falcons and their privately-flown-in crew of officials on Thursday.

Last Week: (Dave - 6-6-1, Gabe 7-5-1)

Season: (Dave: 49-59-4, Gabe: 55-53-4)

This Week: (Dave and Gabe: 0-1)


Cincinnati (+7) at Indianapolis




Gabe: Cincinnati - We're halfway through the season and I still can't get a read on some teams. Cincinnati is one of them. I honestly thought T.O. joining the team was going to poison the locker room. I wouldn't have guessed that he would keep turning in 200 yard games, make Ochocinco the after thought, all while Carson Palmer regresses to Jordan or Jesse Palmer levels. This could be a trap game for the Colts, as they have New England next week. I think the Colts win, but by less than a TD.

Dave: Indianapolis - Eventhough I can see the Colts jumping out to a big lead here and then falling asleep towards the end to allow a few late scores to Cincinatti's new kings of sanitation, Carson Palmer and Terrell Owens(because they kill it during garbage time), I'm going to go oppo here in an effort to tear down the six-game deficit I'm currently behind to Mr. On The 6 here. Manning feels no pressure from a non-existant Bengals pass rush and tosses three scores(I'll even give you names: Wayne, Garcon and Jacob Tamme. Lock it up!), while Bengals fans start sending emails to bring back David Klingler.


Houston (+1.5) at Jacksonville



Gabe: Houston - This line is not as ridiculous and I thought at first. Jacksonville always plays well against their division opponents, especially at home. Houston can't stop anyone on defense, but they counter that by putting up big points. I say David Garrard and Mojo have good games, but in the end Houston does just enough to win, by 3.



Dave: Houston - Is "Jacksonville sucks" enough of a reasoning to pick Houston here? It is? OK, on to the next one.


Tennessee (-1) at Miami




Gabe: Tennessee - I think Miami suffers a hangover after getting crushed by the Ravens. Tennessee is coming off of a bye so they'll have plenty of time to prepare, and get used to Randy Moss being there. I think the Titans offense has a good day and they beat Miami by 6.



Dave: Tennessee - With the acquisition of Randy Moss, the Tennessee Titans have no morphed into the ultimate Dave Leonardis Madden team. Tall, speedy deep threat, plus running back with speed to run screens and mobile QB to keep teams honest plus bend but don't break defense. What does that have to with this game? Well, nothing, but I was out on Miami after I heard the words "Starting QB Chad Pennington", and I needed something to fill this space so there you go. Kerry Collins balls out with his new playtoy and we spend the next week or so listening to talking heads ramble about whether the Titans should go with Vince Young or Collins the rest of the season. Oh, sports talk experts, you're so damn predictable.


Minnesota (-1) at Chicago


Gabe: Chicago - Minnesota has been a soap opera this year, we all know. I'm not going to take them to win until they have a show me game. Chicago at home by a touchdown.



Dave: Minnesota - Man, do I HAVE to pick a winner in this one? The Vikings may be the NFL's version of the West Canaan Coyotes(the team from "Varsity Blues"), a band of misfits whose bond is to each other, the game of football and their hatred for their knucklehead coach. Despite doing everything to get himself either fired or choked out with a pair of Wranglers, Brad Childress still runs roughshod in Princeville and the team is content on winning just to spite him. There's just too much talent on this Vikings squad to think they'd lose to a Bears team that will see Jay Cutler give it away at least twice. Also, be prepared to see Jared Allen's sack dance alot. Chicago's offensive line has allowed Cutler to take more hits than ESPN's credibility so far this season. Vikes by 10.


Detroit (+3) at Buffalo



Gabe: Detroit - Don't let the recent games fool you, Buffalo still sucks. I think the Detroit offense gets going and Suh causes problems all game. Upset special? Sure why not. Detroit gets the outright win.

Dave: Buffalo - I'm really not sure if Buffalo is a half-decent team that's just misfortunate enough to shoot itself in the foot each week or if they really truly are the second coming of the 2008 Lions. I'm rolling the dice that it's the former and that the Lions, while impressive the last couple of weeks, take a step back with Shaun Hill at QB and Ryan Fitzpatrick edges them out in a surprisingly entertaining shootout(mainly because bye weeks forced me to start both Lee Evans and Steve Johnson this week). Bills with the upset here by 3.


N.Y. Jets (-3) at Cleveland



Gabe: N.Y. Jets - I wish the Ryan's played against each other every week. The press conferences and interviews this week have been awesome. That being said, the Browns won't be able to do this week what they did last week. Jets win easy, by 10.

Dave: Cleveland - Fuck it, I'm all in on the Browns this year. They've whooped on New Orleans and New England so far and they've given Pittsburgh and Baltimore all it can handle. Plus, this is yet another revenge bang for Browns coach Eric Mangini and, this time, he gets a tag team partner in Rob Ryan, the brother of Jets coach Rex Ryan. Peyton Hillis has become the second coming of Mike Alstott and Colt McCoy, much like DJ Khaled, all he does is win. The Jets have dropped two stinkers in a row and I think the Browns make Gang Green and former Brownie Braylon Edwards pay. Browns by 6.


Carolina (+7) at Tampa Bay



Gabe: Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay knows how to win. That's all they do. They are on the rise. The Panthers are in free fall. They call my little brother yesterday and asked if wanted to tote the rock. Tampa by 10.

Dave: Tampa Bay - Mike Goodson is starting at RB and Jimmy Clausen at QB for Carolina. I don't think this spread could be high enough here. Bucs break out a keg of "Ass Whoopin'". Tampa Bay by 17.


Kansas City (-1) at Denver




Gabe: Kansas City - The Chiefs are who Dave thought they were. Only being a one point favorite against the lowly Broncos is a crime. Chiefs by at least a touchdown.


Dave: Kansas City - I smell trap here. Chiefs are coming off an emotional OT loss that may come back to haunt them and now have to travel to Denver to face a Broncos team coming off a bye. That could spell trouble. Begrudgingly, I'm going to stick with my Chiefs if only to crow once again about my preseason prediction that they'd take the West and the fact that people like The Big Adobo thought I was nuts. Chiefs win this one, but it's going to be closer than you'd think. KC by 3.

St. Louis (+6) at San Francisco




Gabe: St. Louis - I don't know if San Fran is going to turn it around this year. If they were going to do it typically St. Louis would be an easy team to pick on. Not this year. The Rams don't know that they are supposed to be bad. They just might be dumb enough to win the division. No way the Rams should be six point dogs in this game. I'll take the Rams for the outright win, by 6.



Dave: San Francisco - Here's something you may know but should scare you....the Niners are only two out in the NFC West after no-showing the first month of the season. You would think that would give me pause to take San Fran here but this might be a different team with Troy Smith at the helm. Frank Gore's still a beast and, at this time last year, Michael Crabtree was just getting into form and there could be a repeat of that this year. Sam Bradford's going to have a good day against this shotty SF secondary, but I'm not ready to punch out on the Niners just yet.


Seattle (+3) at Arizona




Gabe: Seattle - This game is the latest installment in my weekly "I wouldn't watch this game if they played in my driveway" special. Dave and I totally disagreed about these team in pre-season, and he's turned out to be right. Arizona is awful, so I'll take the Seahawks.

Dave: Seattle - Oh, how I was hoping we'd get another week of Charlie Whitehurst so I'd have a reason to take Arizona. Whitehurst may have had a worse opening week than "The Last Airbender". Both of these teams are terrible, but at gun point, I'll take the Seahawks and the points.




Dallas (+13.5) at N.Y. Giants



Gabe: Dallas - WHAT?!?! Hear me out. The Cowboys are awful. The Giants are the most complete team in the NFC and arguably playing the best football. Here's the thing, they played two weeks ago, in a game in which the Giants dominated the game physically and knocked out Tony Romo, and the Giants still only won by six. Now Jason Garrett is driving the ship for the Cowboys. I don't think the Cowboys are going to win, but I think this is exactly the game that will make them band together and play well. Giants by a touchdown.



Dave: Dallas - Damnit. I was hoping Gabe would homer out here and take his boys so I could take Dallas here and have another oppo to my name. Look, Dallas is going to lose here. The team has given up and changing coaches is like putting a band-aid on a compound fracture.....BUT....offensively, under Jason Garrett, they might be able to keep things close. Keep in mind, Steve Smith is out for Big Blue and you know New York is looking ahead to a much bigger game of consequence next week against the Eagles. Like Daddy Yankee up top said, the Giants only won by six last time and that was with brainless Wade Phillips and the Cowboys' offensive line falling asleep at the wheel. Giants roll here, but two touchdowns is asking a lot with Eli Manning and his noodle arm throwing in the Jersey winds.

New England (+4.5) at Pittsburgh


Gabe: Pittsburgh - The Steelers are playing well. The Pats are on a slide. I think the Pats will still be feeling the effects of the thumping the Browns gave them. They thought the Browns were physical? Wait until the Steelers D gets a hold of them. Pittsburgh by 7.



Dave: Pittsburgh - I'm a man of my word. So when I said last week that I was out on New England if they couldn't handle the Browns, I meant it. This Patriots defense is a step above mediocre and Belichick is foolish if he thinks he can get this team to the Super Bowl by brushing the dust off his 2001 magical run and beat teams with some dinking and dunking and an occasional run here and there. Steelers need this one to capitalize on the Ravens loss and I have no faith in New England beating any decent team at this point. Call it an overreaction if you'd like.




Philadelphia (-3) at Washington



Gabe: Philadelphia - On Monday night, against a division rival, in a game they need to win. This is exactly the kind of game that causes the Redskins to play well. Unfortunately they have no offense. Philly by 10.

Dave: Washington - FINALLY! It's Vick vs McNabb......maybe. If Shanahan doesn't try to outsmart himself and sticks with Donovan, I think the Redskins not only win but they roll here. Remember how pissed off McNabb was after being benched for Kevin Kolb a few years ago against Baltimore and he came back and roasted Arizona on Thanksgiving. Well, you think Donovan's a bit angered now that he spent the last two weeks having his conditioning and work ethic questioned by his new coach AND the media? On top of that, HE'S PLAYING THE TEAM THAT KICKED HIM TO THE CURB! If Mangini vs the Pats and Jets was a revenge bang, this is a spiteful orgy for D-Mac and company. McNabb goes for three hundred and even runs one in for old time's sake. Redskins with the upset by 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment