Monday, March 29, 2010

Block Party

This may sound like I'm being a homer, and maybe I am, but until last night the block of the year in the NBA belonged to the Spurs' Manu Ginobili.

He made this incredible play against Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder:
(I apologize for any ads before these videos. What can you do? The NBA needs to make money somehow.)




That block was incredible and I was fully prepared to call that the block of the year.

But last night that play was eclipsed by......the Spurs' Manu Ginobili!!



First of all, you know it is absolutely a clean block because KG didn't get the foul call. KG gets thrown down like that, at home, and there's no call? It's clean. I love the look on KG face, like he thought something like that could never happen to him. I guess anything is possible.

In keeping with the theme of great blocks, I would also like to take this opportunity to share two of my favorite blocks in NBA history. I'm not saying these are the best of all time, just some of my favorites. Whenever I think of awesome blocks these two immediately come to mind.

First was when Ben Wallace blocked Shaq in the playoffs, when Shaq was playing for the Heat.



Just like KG, Shaq has a look that says things like that are not supposed to happen. Wallace went up and threw his arm down with such force that Shaq ended up on his ass. Wallace knew immediately that he got all ball and came up give the jump ball signal. I loved those Pistons teams of the early to mid 00's. They were built on toughness and defense which I love, in any sport. I've also never really liked Shaq, mostly because he spent years with the Lakers battling my Spurs.


Next is a block that is among the greatest in NBA history. It is certainly the best I have ever seen as it happened. In fact, in some circles is referred to simply as "The Block."

I am of course talking about what Tayshaun Prince did to Reggie Miller:



First, this block should have never happened. If Miller goes up for the jam instead of the lay-up it doesn't give Prince the time or the room to make the block. Even more impressive is the way Prince runs down Miller. They say in the video that he was at half-court when Miller was at the three-point line, but really Prince started running from further back than that. And you can tell he slows down and stutter steps to perfectly time himself before fully extends to get the ball. Simply one of the best ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment