Thursday, April 2, 2009

Brad Childress Opens His Yap

I really didn’t want to chime in on the Cutler saga. To me it has already been beaten to death.

But then I read that Vikings head coach Brad Childress said this about his quarterback situation to the Minneapolis Star-Ledger,

"I don't see it as in shambles. Now, do you want improvement there? Yeah. We always know that the laser is going to get pointed at the quarterback. But I don't feel that way. I feel like we've upgraded with a guy like Sage [Rosenfels], and I think that [Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson] will compete."

He also said that in Rosenfels he feels the Vikings have someone who could grow into a Gus Frerotte.

If I were a Vikings season ticker holder or fan I would be upset. This is not the kind of thing you want to hear your coach saying.

Let’s review. For the past three seasons the Vikings have lead the league in run defense, averaging less than 80 yards per game given up each year, with a silly 61 ypg in 2006. They also run the ball better than almost anyone. They have Adrian “Purple Jesus” Peterson carrying most of the load and Chester Taylor as well. Taylor has spent most of his career as a back-up or second fiddle type guy, but remember, in his one full season as the feature back he had over 1400 total yards. (I remember well; he and Tiki Barber ran me into my fantasy football playoffs.)

Many people, this writer included, think the Vikings are only a good QB away from being in Super Bowl contention. Childress saying he thinks they can be competitive with what they have is angering. The NFL is a win now league. The Vikings have a chance to put together a Super Bowl run. The coach should want to be the best, always. He should not just want to do what is adequate. I understand they gave Rosenfels starter money, but that shouldn’t be Childress’ concern, at least publicly. Tell me you don’t want to give up the picks, or Cutler doesn’t fit your system, but don’t try to convince me you would rather have Rosenfels and Jackson on the field over Cutler.

This whole situation makes me think of Ari Gold, Hollywood super-agent played brilliantly by Jeremy Piven on the HBO show Entourage. Ari has everything; The big house in the Hollywood Hills, the hot wife, partner at a big agency, tailored suits, and tons of cash. All he needs to complete the image is a car.

And he chooses two VW Passats over the 600 Series Mercedes Benz. Sure the Passats are reliable and get the job done, but they aren’t sexy and don’t turn heads. There are just some things a 600 can do that a VW cannot.

The same goes for Sage, TJack, and Cutler. Cutler is more talented and can do some things that the other guys cannot.

Brad Childress, you have Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback.

Boom. Roasted.

-Gabe


EDIT: The Broncos traded Cutler to the Chicago Bears for Kyle Orton and a mess of draft picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment