Sunday, April 19, 2009

Quick Hits

Some quick thoughts from Saturday in the world of sports and elsewhere:

1. The Celtics are done. They have no chance without Kevin Garnett. They Baby Bulls might not beat them, but Orlando should and Cleveland definitely would. What else did I learn from this game? The Baby Bulls will be for real in a few years. Also, and most importantly, Derrick Rose needs to be kept away from the mic. Man is he hard to listen too. It's a good thing dude can ball because he sure doesn't have a grip on coherently answering questions.

2. The Yankees won their first game at the new Yankee Stadium and who hits the go ahead home run? Derek Jeter of course. That swing of the bat is just another instance in a long line of things that make sure he will never pay for a drink in NYC. While A-Rod is busy being aloof, kissing himself in a mirror, and not hitting in the playoffs, Jeter is making himself more and more beloved, even now in the twilight of his career.

3. I caught an airing of Sportscenter from the new ESPN studio in L.A. It was great. The guys are loose and easy going. The whole thing seems fresh and new. At the same time it reminded me of the old days of Sportscenter. The glory days of Dan Patrick, Keith Olbermann, Craig Kilborn, Bob Ley, etc. when there was a seat-of-your-pants attitude to the broadcasts. Too many times nowadays Sportscenter is a little too ironic, cynical, and loaded that jaded east coast sensibility. Don't get me wrong, I truly understand and gravitate toward that point of view. I have spent almost all of my life living in the East Coast "Megalopolis" (a fascinating idea, check it out), and I am a card-carrying member of the "East Coast Bias." (I put in quotes because reporters from the mid-west and west coast refer to it like it's an organization, or building that's walking around and doing shit.) All of that being said, I repeat, the west coast Sportscenter was loose and cool and fresh. I loved it.

- Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment