Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lion Stout - Beer of the Week 7

Lion Stout

Some Facts: Lion Stout is brewed by the Ceylon brewery in Sri Lanka. They brew the Lion beers (Stout and Lager), Strong Beer, Special Brew, and Carlsberg (which this reviewer always thought was brewed in either Europe or Australia.) The website for the company is under construction but can be viewed here. The most helpful information I found was at the Wikipedia page for the parent brewery, here.
Lion Stout is 8% ABV.

What They Say: Lion Stout has an average rating of 3.81 out of 5.0 at RateBeer.com. This puts it in the 96th percentile overall at that site. It has a 4.01 out of 5.0 rating at BeerAdvocate.com. The reviewers at the site give it an average grade of A-. The Bros. give it a B+.

What I Say:
After seeing numerous pictures of friends of mine drinking Lion Stout overseas I became very curious about it. I stumbled upon this beer while out with my wife and in-laws at a wine tasting at our local Whole Foods (much cooler than it might sound.) I bought a six pack and couldn't wait to try it.
I was not disappointed. I poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. This stout has a nice smooth pour with an average head that grows slightly and then dissipates slowly. It has a very, very, dark, murky brownish black color. No light passes through. It has a nice bold aroma. The taste is great. It starts a little bitter and has wonderful coffee and chocolate notes. I don't usually comment on mouthfeel, but this will be an exception. It is sparkly. That is a bit surprising because most stouts are very smooth and creamy. The aftertaste is pleasant, a little bitter with hints of mocha.
I found this beer at my local Whole Foods. So if you have a Whole Foods or a grocery store of that caliber nearby it should be available. I have not seen it anywhere else, as of yet, but I'll be looking.
And remember, it has 8% ABV, so a little goes a long way.

Final Rating: 4.5 pints (out of 6.)

Check out my Beer of the Week blogs 1 through 6 (among other things) at my other blog.

- Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment