Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Mini Wrap-up


I had hoped to be writing this blog about the teams that I love, the New York Giants and the James Madison University Dukes.

Sadly (or with much delight if you're name is Dave), no JMU Dukes were taken in the draft or signed as a free agent afterwards. The fact that none were drafted does not surprise me. But I am surprised that no Duke was signed as a free agent, especially because a few were drawing some attention.

I considered analyzing my hometown team, the Virginia Cavaliers, and their players that were selected, but I can't even pretend to care enough.

So I'll move on and comment a little on what my New York Giants did at the draft.


(Blog intermission: I was in NYC during the weekend of the draft and I met the World Champion.

Yup, that's me and Judah Friedlander outside out Stand Up NY. According to him, he was an all world kicker for Devry. Thanks to my friends Henri and Erin and all of the great people at the club. My wife and I had a great time.)

Looking at the Giants picks as a whole it is clear they came into the draft looking to do a few things: One, find a replacement for Plaxico Burress. Two, round out their linebacking corps. Three, find a running back so they can continue to have a three headed backfield monster. Four, find a pass catching tight end.

With trying to find a great reciever in mind, the Giants took Hakeem Nicks in the first round. I was puzzled. I know he has all of the tools to be a no. 1 eventually, but he is no Plaxico. Plax was unique. I was even more puzzled with this pick when they took Ramses Barden (from football factory Cal-Poly) in the third round. He is built just like Plax. (6'6" 230lbs.) Obviously this is the guy they want to catch jump balls in the red zone.

Here is my problem with this. The Giants have spent many high draft picks in recent years on receivers: Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss, David Tyree (although he was taken late). Super Bowl heroics aside, none of these guys have become great yet. It might be too early to tell with these guys, but many receivers breakout in their first three years. My point is, the best receiver the Giants have acquired in recent years was Plaxico, in a trade. Why didn't they do the same thing this year and trade their first rounder for Braylon Edwards? They could have still gotten the linebacker, running back, and other positions they needed.

All of that being said, the picks of TE Travis Beckum in the third round and Andre Brown in the fourth round were huge value picks. Taking a flyer on Rhett Bomar is not a bad move either. He could develop into a solid back-up for Eli Manning, if not something more.

The Giants did an above average job in my book. They made some puzzling moves with their first two picks, but got great value from then on. Maybe next year a Duke will be taken.

- Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment