Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cut His Mic Off Award: Lil Wayne

"Green and Yellow", a song by New Orleans-born/diehard Packer fan Lil Wayne, which is a play on the equally atrocious "Black and Yellow" by Wiz Khalifa(which, mind you, has zero to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers)




Normally, I'd be quick to co-sign an ode to my favorite football team.....but when it's coming from one of my least favorite rappers, who has spent an entire career putting the city of New Orleans on his back, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass.

Look, some may say it's hypocritical for me, a fist-pumping, Sopranos-loving, Jersey-born Packers fan, to rip on Lil Wayne for his latest public allegiance to the newly minted NFC Champion Green Bay Packers. You're certainly just in your outrage, haters. Fans can come from anywhere. There's no rule in the fan handbook that says that you can only support your local team. Of the four major sports, only one(the New Jersey Devils) reside in the place I grew up. My main issue with Weezy's opus is the timing. For one, he's clearly trying to capitalize off the popularity of "Black and Yellow"(the latest tumor on hip-hop's cancer-ridden body) by making the obvious switch from Steeler colors to Packer colors. Second, for someone who is such a hardcore Cheesehead....where was this song months ago? I'm not supposed to find it a tad suspicious that a rapper with numerous "New Orleans Nightmare" mixtapes out is deciding to drop a song about his supposed favorite football team a week before they are about to play in the Super Bowl? How much different is this from Lindsay Lohan sitting courtside during the NBA Finals in a Kobe jersey?

Naturally, I'm always looking for a reason to throw shots at Wayne(since no gunman is smart enough to do it), so perhaps some of my angst comes from my shear dislike for the guy, but prior to writing this I Googled "Lil Wayne Packers fan" and found one picture(the one you'll find above). One. There's no pictures of him hugged up with Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews(whom he name drops in the song). No pics of him sitting in the press box at Lambeau Field. No shots of him in a Reggie White jersey. Nothing. Where's the Brett Favre dis record, Weezy? And if you're the "best rapper alive", why resort to biting off another terrible rapper's track? All that time in the clink didn't allow you to come with something a bit more original? Also, how pissed is the city of New Orleans right now? You don't think they would have liked an anthem to bump around this time last year, when the Saints were competing for the Lombardi Trophy, from their hometown hero?

Again, Wayne could very well be a honest-to-God Packers fan and the lack of public evidence and timing of "Green and Yellow" could just be coincidental. Still, there's never a good reason to NOT cut Lil Wayne's mic off and, until I find a reason to legitimize his Cheesehead status, that's exactly what I'm going to do right...about...NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment